The Victorian Jessop Hospital for Women was originally opened in 1878 to meet the maternal needs of the Sheffield's ladies. Initially the hospital had bed capacity for 35 but demand led to an extension being added in early 1902. This Edwardian Wing was built in the late Gothic style by the same architect as the 1878 building. The wing has been vacant since 2001.
An inside look before it is converted into facilities for the Sheffield University students.
The proposed refurbishment of the wing scheduled to start late 2009 will see 'minimal' changes to the historic fabric of the building and it is hope it will bring back into use this magnificent building which has played a key part in Sheffield's history.