This beautifully constructed Grade ll listed bridge was removed to save Rotherham town centre from flooding. The bridge also known as 'Don Bridge' was built in 1876 by local contractors Armstrong and Co of Brinsworth Iron & Steel Works. During the Rotherham floods of June 2007, the Grafton Bridge caused significant obstruction to the flood flow by collecting debris. This Grade II listed bridge was closed to motor vehicles in 1998 due to serious corrosion... and its removal in 2009.
The Bridge before removal
In October 2009, this 133 year old piece of local history began to disappear forever. In recognition of its listed status most of the existing stone and cast iron panels were saved to be incorporated in the new layout as river bank steps and boundary fencing.
The bridge in October 2009.