The Chapel of Our Lady is one of only four Medieval Bridge Chapels in the country. Most parts dates back to the 14th century. Contained within the Chapel is a crypt with the original jail doors from 1779.
These bridge Chapels were a common feature in medieval England
This Chapel was built some 526 years ago and it is one of Rotherham's most precious pieces of history.
Around year 1595 the Chapel was running as an almshouse offering a helping hand to the needy.
In the early 1990's some much needy restoration was completed and further work was carried out in 1975.
The statue of Our Lady was donated in the early 1980's and the limed oak Alter railings was
installed in 1930.
The biggest window in the Chapel tells some of the history of the building.
The Crypt of the Chapel
The Chapel was originally used by travellers, who used to pray for a safe journey, or to give thanks
for a safe arrival in Rotherham.
120 years ago the Chapel opened as a tobacconist and newsagents. Prior to this, the lower level was used
as a prison and was probably very dark due to the small windows.
This original cell door still displays the 230 year old graffiti made by some of the inmates at the time.
The locks and window shutter which kept prisoners at bay.
The Chapel was built next to the medieval Rotherham Bridge in 1483.
The crypt of the Chapel was flooded during the Rotherham floods in June 2007.